Allentown, Pa., July 26, 2005 - Akrion, Inc. has earned a new U.S. patent for critical damage-reducing technology in megasonic cleaning processes. Entitled “Apparatus and Method for Reducing Damage to Substrates During Megasonic Cleaning Processes,” U.S. patent number 6,892,738 relates to technology that enables enhanced particle removal inherent in megasonic single-wafer cleaning systems while decreasing the likelihood of the damage that megasonics can cause. This is particularly important for leading-edge device manufacturers, since damage becomes more of an issue as feature sizes are reduced.
Akrion has a long list of intellectual property for both single-wafer and batch-immersion processes, with more than 100 patents either issued or pending, including:
- Integration of robotics and wet processing
- Ozonated sulfuric acid process
- ICE-1™ chemical concentration control
- DIO3™ ozonated-water cleaning method
- Direct-coupled megasonics
- aKROS™ automated immersion cleaning system
- Megazone System™ for in situ cleaning
- Sunburst™ and Goldfinger megasonics
- SuperClean™ spin-rinse drying technology
- Rotogoni single-wafer drying
Akrion is a leading provider of wet cleaning systems for the semiconductor industry. The company designs, manufactures, installs and services advanced batch-immersion and single-wafer wet cleaning equipment used in the production of a diverse range of semiconductor and related devices, including integrated circuits, micro-electrical mechanical systems (MEMS) and photomasks. Headquartered in Allentown, Pa., Akrion’s Allentown production facility is ISO 9001:2000 and ISO 14001:1996 certified. The company Web site is located at http://www.akrionsystems.com.